Living With Uncertainty
By Mark A. Finley
Have you ever struggled with unanswerable questions? Have you ever wondered why certain things happened in your life? Does the future seem dark and uncertain? In this month’s Bible lesson we will discover not only how to live, but how to thrive, with uncertainty. We will examine biblical principles that enable us to accept what we cannot understand, embrace life’s challenges, and rejoice in the presence of the One who will never leave us or forsake us.
1. Is it necessary to accept the reality that we will not understand some things until eternity? Read Deuteronomy 29:29 to discover the answer.
Our loving Lord will not explain some things until eternity. He invites us to live with uncertainty. All our questions will not be answered in this life.
2. Since we cannot understand everything, does that mean we cannot have peace of mind until we are able to understand why certain things happened? Read carefully Philippians 4:7. What do you discover?
Paul wrote about “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.” While our minds may not understand, our hearts can still trust. When we live with uncertainty, we can still trust the One who holds the future in His hands, and rest in His love and care.
3. Why doesn’t Jesus answer all our questions now? Review John 16:12 to find an eternal principle.
In His mercy Jesus does not answer all of our questions now. He explained to His own disciples that they could not “bear” to hear everything He wanted to tell them. If He revealed everything to us at once, it would overwhelm us.
4. Read John 8:12 and 12:35. What does Jesus tell us about living in uncertain times?
Jesus invites us to walk in the light we have and not worry about the uncertainties on the road ahead. In times of our darkest need, Jesus reveals the light of His presence. He encourages us to embrace the light He reveals, to rest in the warmth of His presence, and to cherish the joy of knowing He will meet all of our needs (Phil. 4:19).
5. What assurance does Jesus give us in uncertain times? Notice the five things He promises in Isaiah 41:10.
6. Will our questions ever be answered? Will we have to live with nagging unanswered questions forever? Read 1 Corinthians 13:12.
Today we see through a glass darkly. We live with uncertainty and unanswered questions. But the day is coming when God will reveal His answers to us, and we will marvel at His love, wisdom, and eternal power.
7. How can we thrive in life’s toughest times? Two scriptural passages provide an answer: 1 Peter 5:7 and 2 Corinthians 5:7.
Jesus invites us to cast all of our “care upon Him.” We can throw the full weight of our anxiety on the Savior who died for us, now lives for us, and is soon coming again for us. Living by faith, trusting in His grace, we are secure in the midst of our uncertainties, now and forever.