- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough. Discard used tissues.
- Wash hands regularly with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. One can also use alcohol-based hand sanitizers to clean the hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth, because germs spread very readily this way.
- Avoid close contact with people who have the flu. This is especially important to practice when you yourself are ill with the flu.
- Stay home for seven days when you are sick or until you have been totally symptom-free for 24 hours.
- Follow school and work closures as well as recommended public health measures for your region. Avoid crowded places as much as possible.
is director of the General Conference Health Ministries Department.
Peter N. Landless, M.B., B.Ch., M.Med., F.C.P.(SA), F.A.C.C.,
is ICPA executive director and associate director of the General Conference Health Ministries Department.