Adventist Hospital Planned for Burundi
Asense of great achievement and satisfaction marked the recent groundbreaking ceremony for the first Adventist city hospital in Bujumbura, Burundi’s capital.
The four-story building will have a 60-bed capacity, outpatient services, a diagnostic center, a dental clinic, and inpatient services for maternity and surgical. Expected to cost approximately US$750,000), this facility is the very first of its kind for this region of the Adventist Church.
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, through its “Thirteenth Sabbath” special offering in 2010, will contribute 65 percent of the funds in conjunction with East-Central Africa Division (ECD) as a capital appropriation, and Adventist Health Systems of ECD. The remaining 35 percent will come from Adventist Church members in Burundi. East Burundi Mission workers have already given an equivalent of one month’s salary toward the building project. Many of the students attending the Sabbath service pledged to give their first paychecks as a contribution.
“The true ‘right arm’ of the gospel is active and functioning, and it is my prayer that we reflect the compassionate love of God through this health ministry and the new hospital in Bujumbura City,” said Pastor Blasious Ruguri, during the ceremony.
Ruguri, East-Central Africa division president, was accompanied by Jerome Habimana, division treasurer; Fesaha Tsegaye, the division’s Health Ministries’ director; and Bob Butler, Adventist Health Systems East-Central Africa Division director.
—ECD News staff